On May 15-16, 2013 in Johannesburg, South Africa the meeting of the BRICS Head of IP Offices the took place. The meeting was dedicated to implementation of the results of BRICS summit in Durban, as well as the agreements reached at the meeting of BRICS Head of IP Offices within the framework of the Fiftieth Series of Meetings of Assemblies of Member-States of WIPO.
In the course of the meeting the Parties discussed and approved a Roadmap of the development of collaboration of the BRICS IP Offices. The Roadmap includes the following cooperation streams:
- improving the quality of services in the field of intellectual property provided to the applicants;
- national IP Strategy and IP strategies for enterprises;
- training of Intellectual Property Office staff;
- promotion of public awareness on Intellectual Property;
- collaboration in International Forums;
- exchange of information on national legislation and practice;
- exchange of patent documentation;
- examiner exchange programme.
In the conclusion of the meeting there was reached the agreement to hold meetings at the level of the Heads of Offices twice a year, to conduct regular meetings in tele- and videoconference format as well as to form separate working groups on realization of specific areas of cooperation.