4.1. Program for Comprehensive Modernization of Automated Systems
Within the framework of implementation of the Program for Comprehensive Modernization of Automated Systems of Rospatent in 2011 the following activities were undertaken:
- The filing of the entries signed by electronic digital signatures of the executing officer into electronic State Register of Trademarks and Service Marks of the Russian Federation, State Register of Appellations of Origin of the Russian Federation and the electronic List of Well-Known Marks of the Russian Federation (hereinafter referred to as ESR) was continued. As of the end of December 31, 2011, 61349 new registrations were filed in the ESR, and 83665 registrations were transferred from the State Register maintained on paper.
- The FIPS automated system for electronic data processing “Chamber of Patent Disputes” (ASBBD “PPS”) was put into actual industrial operation. The system is aimed at carrying out all the procedures regarding filing, registration and processing of objections and appeals against:
- decisions based on the results of examination of the applications for state registration of the objects of intellectual property;
- cancellation or invalidation of the grant of legal protection to the objects of intellectual property.
The ASBBD “PPS” allows electronic processing of the objections and appeals:
- all the correspondence relating to the objections and appeals is transferred into electronic form;
- the ASBBD “PPS” displays the data regarding objects of Intellectual Property from the uploaded Rospatent internal automated systems (ABD, AS “TZ RF”, AS “EGR”);
- the system allows to sign and approve the correspondence electronically;
- the documents (outgoing mail templates, panel conclusions, Rospatent decisions) are electronically signed by means of electronic digital signature;
- data relating to the decisions changing the scope of protection of trademarks or service marks, appellations of origin and well-known marks is integrated into the AS “EGR” by the respective decision-makers;
- the data relating to the decisions made is automatically uploaded into the Rospatent web-site section “Decisions of the Chamber of Patent Disputes”;
- control of the fee payment is carried out within the automated system “Fees”;
- The work regarding the informational background enhancement and functionality development of the data search system for examination of inventions and utility models “PatSearch” was continued.
- According to the users’ requests, the functional capabilities of the Automated Search System of the All-Russian Patent and Technical Library (ABS VPTB) were enhanced. A new base of the scientific and technical literature containing about 50 000 publications was plugged in the ABS VPTB.
- In December 2011 a new version of the system for e-filing of the trademark applications and electronic interaction with the applicants (KPS RTZ) was put into operation in the industrial environment. It enhances the functionality of the system, in particular, providing for:
- filing of applications for nontraditional trademarks;
- complex tools for the revision of quality of application materials prior of to filing;
- filing an application by a person being an “Agent of the Applicant”;
- downloading the data into the screen form from the XML files;
- launching a new working station such as the “Head of the Organization”;
- use of the upgraded version of electronic digital signature.
As of December 31, 2011 1878 applications were filed by means of the KPS RTZ.
- The access to the automated system of trademark paperless document processing “TM-ADMIN” was provided to all examiners involved in processing the marks for which the grant of protection is claimed. The total amount of the system users comprises more than 280 persons. The work on the system operating speed and efficiency upgrading was accomplished; in particular, the business process reengineering was carried out.
- The work on enhancement of the automated system for the document processing of inventions, utility models and industrial designs “ABD” were continued. In particular, the subsystem for recording and generating statistics relating to the PHH applications was developed; the data regarding the recent annual fee paid was included in the content of the information published on the FIPS web-site.
- A new software module of the automated system “Electronic Library of the РСТ Applications” for the Russian International Search Authority (ISA/RU), which provides for processing (distribution of the applications to the ISA examiners, development of the outgoing documents in Russian and English, recording and scanning of the incoming correspondence), as well as storage of the application documents and bibliographic data, was developed. The electronic folders of documents to be communicated to the WIPO were formed.
- The subsystem for e-filing of the applications for inventions of the automated system of paperless document processing of applications for inventions (AS BDEI) was set to work. The access to the subsystem is provided in the FIPS web-site section “Electronic Interaction with the Applicants”:
The first e-application for an invention was filed on April 12, 2011. By the end of the year the applicants’ activity was increased.
PatSearch Information and Search System for Inventions and Utility Models Examination
In 2011 the PatSearch Information and Search System for Inventions and Utility Models Examination (ISS) was put into operation for all working stations of the Rospatent patent examiners. PatSearch System is a professional information and search system for invention and utility model examination. In this connection, this system has a wide set of functional and servicing possibilities.
In 2011 the main searching arrays of patent documentation of the PCT minimum countries, as well as a basic array of extended abstracts and bibliographic data of Dervent Co. (Thompson Reuter) DWPI were downloaded (more than 43 million of documents). This array is a basic source of search indexes. The arrays of patent documents of the former-USSR and Russia, the CIS, PCT, the EPO, the USA, Germany, England, France, Austria, Australia, ARIPO, OAPI, Republic of Korea, as well as English-language abstracts and facsimile copies of documents of Japan and other countries were downloaded. In total, there are more than 42 million of patent documents in original language. Access to the full descriptions of patent documents, which have not been downloaded into the system yet, but being found by the DWPI index, is provided for by the incorporated on-line query to the EPO arrays. The search for non-patent literature is realized by integrated request to the external digital library (E-Library) or to the largest non-patent literature database SCOPUS. The major part of the arrays is represented by facsimile images of patent descriptions and required huge memory volume for their deployment — several dozens of Tb. Simultaneously, the task of ensuring required efficiency (up to 1000 users) and performance (5–10 seconds for standard search) on the full array of documentation was resolved.
For the users, it is important that the ISS provides for the possibility to use the automated translation of selected documents from foreign languages. The system also provides for the possibility to control the quality of the examiner’s work while carrying out the information search.
The assresated lists of the main functions of the system are mentioned below.
Basic functional possibilities of the system:
- Search in selected arrays
- View of indexes during preparation of the query
- Sample analysis (statistics on the results of the search)
- Two-window view of the documents
- Printing of documents
- Exporting of documents
- Taking into consideration of the IPC reform and subsequent reclassifications
- Search taking into account the European Patent Classification ECLA, the American Patent Classification USPC, as well as the Dervent company classifier
- Multilingual automatic translation (including translation of the selected fragment of the document or of the document as a whole, separate regime of query translation)
- Analytical treatment of the search results (including cluster analyses and construction of semantic networks)
- Search in the Esp@cenet
- Search in the E-Library
- Search in the SCOPUS
- Search of amino acids and nucleotide sequences in European databank EMBL.
In 2011 the possibilities of maintenance of the safety distal operating mode of examiners and of the full text search of documents in the arrays of Japan in Japanese language were implemented within the PatSearch system.
The search history recording function was enhanced, in particular, there was introduced the specification of the search arrays, texts of the search documents, number of the documents revised, as well as the list of documents included by the examiner into the result selection.
Main utility functions of the system
- For the examiner:
- Working book
- Personal file (selected documents)
- Result selection
- Retention of all the settings (modes), chosen by each examiner
- For the manager:
- View of the search history of the subordinate examiners
- For the system administrator:
- View of system journals
- Means of introduction of new arrays
- Security ensuring:
- Distribution of authorities
- Restriction of access to certain arrays.
Searching arrays of the system
- DWPI Array
- Descriptions of the inventions of the former-USSR from 1924 to 1993
- Descriptions of the inventions of the Russian Federation from 1994 up to the present
- Claims of utility models of the Russian Federation from № 1 up to present
- Claims of Russian applications for inventions
- Unpublished Russian applications for inventions
- English language abstracts of patent documents of developed countries (DWPI)
- Descriptions of the inventions of countries of the PCT minimum, including:
- the PCT applications
- the EPO
- the USA
- Great Britain
- Republic of Korea
- Descriptions of the inventions of the CIS countries along with Russian-language abstracts (CISPATENT).
Totally more than 85 million patent documents.
Additionally, there is an opportunity to perform search in the EPO system Esp@cenet, in the digital libraries E-Library and Scopus, and in the European databank of genetic sequences EMBL.
In order to ensure the efficient implementation of the systems into the practice the two-stage training course for examiners on PatSearch consisting of “Basic Training Course” and “Extended Course” was developed and is widely used.
Certain screenshots, illustrating the PatSearch system operation are represented on Fig. 1-4.
Fig. 1. View of the European classification ECLA
Fig. 2. View of the USA document in the field of chemistry
Fig. 3. Semantic network
4.2. Exploitation of Internet Resources of Rospatent
In 2011 the access to the following resources was provided on the FIPS web-site:
- Information search system (ISS) of the national patent documents;
- Registers of Russian patent documents of all the types of industrial property;
- Register of trademark applications filed in 2005–2011, complemented by the proceeding data on the applications filed in 2008–2011;
- Registers, containing information on processing the applications for patents, utility models and industrial designs filed in 2007–2011;
- Official bulletins of Rospatent: “Inventions. Utility Models”, “Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin”, “Industrial Designs”;
- Daily published data on current registrations of trademarks, service marks, appellations of origin, well-known marks, and notifications on change of entries in the State Register of Trademarks before their publication in the Official Bulletin “Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin”;
- Official Bulletin of Rospatent “Computer Programs, Databases, Topographies of Integrated Circuits”.
The Internet Resources of Rospatent include the following databases:
- a full text database of Russian inventions (containing information on 447 thousand patents for inventions, covering the period from 1994 up to 2011), updated three times per month;
- a backdating database of Russian patent documents presented in facsimile format (containing information on 1433 thousand patent documents for inventions covering the period from 1924 up to 1993);
- an abstract database of Russian inventions (containing information on 462 thousand patents for inventions, covering the period from 1994 up to 2011), updated three times per month;
- a database of published applications for inventions (containing information on 371 thousand applications, covering the period from 1994 up to 2011), updated three times per month;
- database of English language abstracts of Russian inventions (containing information on 470 thousand patents, covering the period from 1994 up to 2011), updated three times per month;
- a full-text database of Russian utility models (containing information on 112 thousand Russian certificates and patents for utility models, covering the period from 1996 up to 2011), quarterly updated;
- an abstract database of Russian utility models (containing information on 112 thousand certificates and patents for utility models, covering the period from 1996 up to 2011), updated three times per month;
- a database of Russian trademarks (containing information on 375 thousand Russian certificates for trademarks, covering the period from 1925 up to 2011), daily updated;
- a database of International Trademarks Registrations with designation of the Russian Federation (containing information on 244 thousand international registrations with designation of Russia, covering the time period from 1980 up to 2011), weekly updated — the access is provided for subscribers to the Trademarks databases;
- “Prospective inventions” database (containing information on 1 thousand patents for inventions considered by FIPS to be prospective), quarterly updated;
- a database “Appellations of Origin” (containing information on 122 appellations of origin and 267 certificates of the exclusive right to them covering the time period from 1997 up to 2011), daily updated — the access is provided for subscribers to the Trademarks databases;
- a database “Well-known Russian Marks” (containing information on 109 well-known Russian marks), daily updated — the access is provided for subscribers to the Trademarks databases;
- a database of industrial designs (containing information on 40,8 thousand patents for industrial designs, covering the time period from 1993 up to 2011), monthly updated;
- a database of Russian trademark applications filed during 2005-2011 (containing information about 277 thousand applications), daily updated;
- a database of applications for inventions filed in 2007-2011 (containing information about examination procedure on 203 thousand applications), daily updated;
- a database of applications for utility models filed in 2007–2011 (containing information about examination procedure on 58 thousand applications), daily updated;
- a data base of applications for industrial designs filed in 2007–2011 (containing information about examination procedure of 21 thousand applications), daily updated;
- International Patent Classification database (2010.01);
- International Classification of Goods and Services database;
- International Classification of Industrial Designs database.
Use of the Information and Search System
Access for external users to the full text DB of inventions, utility models, trademarks and industrial designs is provided on a contract basis.
Within the framework of the Program of Regional Cooperation between Rospatent and the Regions of the Russian Federation, 148 organizations received a free access to the full text databases of inventions.
Within the framework of agreements on cooperation between Rospatent and corresponding organizations the free access was provided:
- to the full text databases of inventions — for 40 organizations participating in the implementation of the state project on the nanotechnology development;
- to the databases of trademarks — for 20 organizations of the Federal Customs Service of the Russian Federation;
- to all FIPS databases:
- for 84 organizations of the Federal Court Bailiffs Service;
- for 169 organizations of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation;
- 10 organizations of the Federal Antimonopoly Service.
External users are provided with a free access to the following products:
In respect of inventions:
- Abstract DBs in Russian and English;
- DB of published applications for inventions;
- DB «Prospective inventions»;
- Full text DB containing documents published in three recent Bulletins “Inventions. Utility Models”;
- IPC DB;
In respect of utility models:
- Full text DB containing documents published in three recent Bulletins “Inventions. Utility Models”;
- DB of abstracts;
- IPC DB;
In respect of trademarks:
- DB containing documents published in two recent Bulletins “Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin”;
- International Classification of Goods and Services DB.
In respect of industrial designs:
- DB containing documents published in the recent Bulletin “Industrial Designs”;
- International Classification of Industrial Designs DB.
In 2011 about 780 contracts providing for the access to the commercial databases were concluded. The total number of the contracts made during the whole period of the system operation amounts to 9500. By the end of the year more than 7700 thereof were still valid.
During 2011 the number of search queries made by internal and external users to the ISS totaled over 4469000, whereas:
- over 464 000 queries were made by internal users;
- over 3362000 queries were made on free of charge basis;
- over 643000 queries were made by commercial users.
Chart 1 shows the distribution of queries processed by the ISS in 2007–2011.
Distribution of Search Queries to the ISS by Years
Chart 2 illustrates the distribution of the number of queries during 2011 according to the types of industrial property.
Distribution of Queries to the ISS in 2011 by Industrial Property
Use of the Registers of Russian patent documents
The users of Registers enjoyed free access to all patent documents available in the Internet resources of Rospatent.
In 2011 the total number of queries submitted by internal and external users to the Registers exceeded 17001 thousand, whereas:
- about 313 thousand were entered by the internal users of the databases;
- over 16689 thousand were entered by the external users of the databases.
Diagram 3 shows the distribution of queries to Registers by years.
Distribution of Queries to Registers by Years
Diagram 4 shows the distribution of queries to registers according to industrial property titles.
Distribution of Queries to the Registers by Types of Industrial Property
Use of the Rospatent Official Bulletins
Users enjoy free access to the following Rospatent Bulletins:
- “Inventions. Utility Models” (three last published Bulletins);
- “Trademarks. Service Marks. Appellations of Origin” (two last published Bulletins);
- “Industrial Designs” (to the recent published Bulletin) ;
- “Computer programs, Databases. Topographies of Integrated Circuits (to the recent published Bulletin).
During 2011 the total number of queries to the Rospatent electronic bulletins amounted to 810 thousand.
4.3. Cooperation with the Common Government Services Portal and other Federal Authorities (FA) through the system for interdepartmental electronic interaction (SIEI)
The Common Government Service Portal provides for the description of 14 government service rendered by Rospatent:
- accreditation, registration, grant of the certificates to the patent attorneys, as well review of the patent attorneys’ activities;
- maintenance of the registers of the Intellectual Property objects and publication of the data relating to them;
- state registration of the computer programs and databases;
- state registration of the topographies of integrated circuits;
- arrangement of processing of the applications for grant of the state registration of trademarks or service marks, requests for recognition a trademark or a sign used as a trademark without grant of the legal protection within the Russian Federation to be well-known in the Russian Federation, registration and grant of the certificates of the Russian Federation;
- arrangement of processing of the applications for appellations of origin, registration and grant of the certificates of the Russian Federation;
- filing the applications for inventions and grant of the patents of the Russian Federation for inventions;
- filing the applications for utility models and grant of the patents of the Russian Federation for utility models;
- filing the applications for industrial designs and grant of the patents;
- invalidation or cancellation of the legal protection granted to a trademark, service mark or appellation of origin, invalidation or cancellation of a patent for a invention, industrial design, utility model (certificate), certificate granting the right to use an appellation of origin;
- extension of the validity term or renewal of patents;
- processing of inquiries of the citizens of the Russian Federation;
- registration of contracts on granting the right to use the an invention, utility model, industrial design, trademark, service mark, protected computer program, database, topography of integrated circuits, franchising contracts for the intellectual property objects protected according to the provisions of the legislation of the Russian Federation;
- registration of the contracts on transfer of the rights to a single technology to abroad.
The access was provided to the required forms and templates of requests; the information relating to grant of a patent to an invention, utility model, industrial design, as well as to the state registration of a trademark, appellation of origin and to recognition of a trademark as well-known mark in the Russian Federation being published.
The web-services for the interdepartmental interaction with the FA by means of the SIEI were developed and registered in the SIEI. The automated working places for users were developed in order to provide their interaction.
4.4. Use of Databases for the Purposes of Examination of Inventions and Utility Models
In 2011 examiners enjoyed the possibility to carry out informational searches on the applications in bulk of the documents in Russian language and the PCT minimum documentation completely in electronic environment.
The main tool for carrying out of the searches during the examination process was the internal search system PatSearch installed on the working stations of all examiners. It contains arrays of patent documentation of the Russian Federation and the former USSR, the CIS countries, DB DWPI, as well as arrays of the foreign patent documents included in the PCT minimum documentation. The system PatSerach allows to search non-patent literature at the official site of Scientific Electronic Library RFFI and in the abstract database SCOPUS.
4.4.1. On-line Search
At the present moment searches are mainly carried out by the examiners in electronic databases accessible online. If for any reasons the data provided in the PatSearch system is not enough for performing the examination, an additional patent information is usually received from the DB freely accessible via Internet, for example: Esp@cenet, DBs of the USPTO, JPO, DPMA DB DEPATISNET, WIPO PATENTSCOPE and the search system EAPATIS of the Eurasian Patent Office.
For acquiring of the data from the applications of the JPO and KIPO required in the course of the work under the РРН program, the examiners had access to the DBs AIPN and K-PION.
From the number of free accessible DBs of non-patent literature, the examiners most frequently use from their working stations the databases on medicine and pharmacy PubMed of the USA National Library and abstract database SCOPUS.
If necessary, along with DBs freely available from all working stations, the examiners were provided a possibility to carry out the searchers in commercial DBs. Most frequently they used patent and non-patent documentation databases available via the STN International network. As a rule these databases are used for performing searches in the field of chemistry (REGISTRY, CA, BEILSTEIN, CASREACT, CHEMCATS and other). Besides DB STN International, in 2011 examiners had an access to the DB of Japan patent documents in English PATOLIS-e owned by Questel company.
According to the contract between FIPS and European Patent Office (EPO), during 2011 the FIPS examiners were permitted from several working stations to carry out searches on applications in the EPO internal search system EPOQUE.
Access for examiners to commercially available remote databases is provided in specially equipped Online Access Room, where the examiners can receive consulting and methodological assistance from qualified staff, who if necessary perform searches jointly with examiners. Examiners usually apply for this service in complicated cases, in particular where online information resources are required for the purposes of searches but not accessible from the examiner’s working stations or the qualification of an examiner is not sufficient for making searches in a particular database.
During 2011 there were conducted over 1100 searches in the Online Access Room. The majority of searches were performed in the REGISTRY and CA databases in the STN network.
For the purposes of improvement of information support of the examination, the available on-line DBs, which may be useful for carrying out information searches, are constantly studied and methodical guidance for examiners are prepared.
Constantly the training and providing consultations both to the young and skilled examiners on using available DBs is carried out. First of all, the attention was paid to the Rospatent search system PatSearch and databases providing the information not contained in the PatSearch system.
4.4.2. Search of the Non-Patent Scientific and Technological Information
Examiners can perform search of the non-patent scientific and technological information both at their working stations and in the Online Access Room. The working stations are provided with an access to DB «SCOPUS» and E-library containing the foreign scientific and technological literature, to the websites of the libraries and to the specialized and polythematic databases in the field of medicine, biology, biotechnology, chemistry, pharmaceutics, to the search systems Google, Rambler, Yandex. In case the above resources are insufficient for examiners, they apply to the special search rooms where the access to the local DB, subject-matter DB on optical disks, patent and non-patent DB freely accessible via Internet and to the commercial DB VINITI.
The frequency of addresses to various databases in the «Training and Computer Search» Room is shown in Diagram 5 and Table 4.4.2.
Number of Addresses of Examiners to Various Databases in «Training and Computer Search»Room
Frequency of References to Various DB in the «Training and Computer Search» Room
Number of References
PatSearch (Scopus, E-Library)
The diagram shows the most frequently used search resources. Among them, the DB VINITI being the most highly sought. It contains abstracts of foreign and national sources of scientific and technological literature. This DB is derived from the periodic and serial editions, books, dissertations, materials of the conferences, abstracts, patents, normative documents, deposited scientific works. Russian sources constitute 30% thereof.
4.4.3. Training on Use of Databases
In order to ensure the required quality of the work training of examiners on various topics relating to the information search is carried out permanently. In 2011 the training of examiners on use of automated systems and electronic databases for performing of the information search, both traditionally used but regularly updated and newly recommended after study of the Internet resources, was continued. All new examiners passed the compulsory education on the use of automated systems and electronic databases selected for examination search. Table 4.3.3 reflects the statistics relating to the training of examiners.
The groups of the examiners passing the training were formed on the basis of their background. Training was carried out according to the specially developed program, which provided for the qualification upgrading of the examiners with different background level and for their self-guided work with the electronic information resources using the knowledge gained.
Directions of the training offered during 2011 in «Training and Computer Search» Room
4.4.4. Promotion of the Automated Translation System
In 2011 the machine translation system of texts PROMT was updated. New version provides for the translation of 5 directions of the documents in different formats: information from the websites, e-mail communications, presentations and the package translation. Translation of the documents is carried out in the professional environment with a wide set of functions of adjustment focused on the subject of the text, as well as with the simplified process of adjustment, which provides translation quality improvement. The client-end portion was installed in the automated mode on the all working stations in the examination and several other divisions.
Thematic user dictionaries created in the PROMT previous version were successfully integrated into the operating one. For several narrow examination topics there have been created new English-Russian user dictionaries that after their testing by examiners will be included in the system for wide use. Development of user dictionaries on various examination topics and their inclusion in the PROMT system will proceed, which should provide for the quality improvement of the translation of the foreign patent documents analyzed in the course of examination.